13 September 2010

Not necessarily reliable sources

Mom is flipping around the TV with the remote. She flips and cuts off a news promo for the latest "Crap to be Scared Of" story.

(You know the stories: your reusable grocery bags are trying to kill you. Don't touch that elevator button - it is covered in germs! Concrete-eating termites are invading Florida!)

"Oh, I already saw that one. The poisonous spiders one."

(I don't watch the news. I listen to NPR. NPR is big on the Greek Economic Crisis but not so much on Crap to be Scared Of.)

"Poison spiders, mom? Where? When? How?"

"Oh yeah. They're MORE poison than black widows. They are just everywhere."

"Everywhere WHERE?"

"Oh, I don't remember. Somewhere."

"What do they look like?"

"Spiders...I don't know. They just look like spiders. I wasn't paying attention."

"Ok, so you're telling me that there is an infestation of terribly deadly spiders, but you don't know where or what they look like?"

"Well, I can't remember EVERYTHING, can I?"

***********

Now go watch the brilliant Stephen Colbert/Stone Phillips gravitas-off.

1 comment:

meno said...

Occasionally when my husband and i are watching TV, some announcement will come on about the 11 o'clock news;

"Could rainwater be causing rickets??!!" Find out at 11!!!!

"Is there a terrible health hazard hiding in YOUR basement?? News at 11!!"

"Is nail polish responsible for dutch Elm Disease??!! Tune in at 11!!"

I just go back to listening to the Greek Economic Disaster, happy in my ignorance.

Back to top