26 February 2010

Why did I not get a Yorkie?

Rocks 500 px

Goldie and I found ourselves in a very, very strange spot today. It was really like nowhere else I have ever been.

Imagine a maze. But instead of a maze made of corn or shrubberies or what have you, it is a maze made of stones.

Boulders, actually. Giant boulders from six to eight feet tall about as wide. Placed in a giant dirt field (about the size of a football field) with gaps between them. The gaps range from four inches to two feet.

In other words, some gaps big enough for a Suebob to squeeze through and just barely dirty her jeans and others that there is Just No Way.

Now imagine that there is a squirrel that lives in among the stones. And that you have a dog that loves to chase squirrels. A deaf dog.

Yes, it happened again. I lost my dog. For how long?

The answer is a long, long, long, long time. Because even if I could glimpse her briefly, by the time I found my way between the little gaps in the stones, she had moved on.

Finally her leash got stuck on the edge of a rock and kept her in one place. I saw her and had to go around and around a bunch of rocks to try and get back to her...and I got totally lost.

Meanwhile, a new load of boulders had come in on a truck and a guy on a Caterpillar D-9 was going over to get them and I just knew that they were going to crush me and my little dog in the process...

But I got the dog. We survived to walk another day.

Some people just walk around the park with their dog trotting beside them. But nooooo. Not me. I'm special.

7 comments:

Lex - @laprimera said...

A Yorkie would be even more difficult to find. And just as deaf even though she can hear you just fine. Trust me on this.

mar said...

and the yorkie would probably squeeze through any fence you had in your yard, so you'd have to find her all the time, not just on walkies.
i almost lost grover yesterday with the move. he bolted past me through the open garage door when i took off his leash. i was so worried. even though goldie's deaf, you know she'll come back to find you when she gets done with her squirrel hunting. *sigh* fur children can be so difficult some times.

Suzanne said...

I agree. You are very special.

Which reminds me to offer you a space at my apartment during BlogHer. I won't be offended if you say no, but it is free. So far, it's me and Alex Elliot. Not sure if Mar is coming (but I hope so!). Husband will be out of town that weekend. And congrats on winning the BlogHer5 contest. See? Special.

susan said...

or you could be like me and have a greyhound that can't ever be off leash except in the safety of home! my dog would just run and run and run!

Jessica said...

OMG, that sounds just awful. Glad you finally found her and got back safely. I absolutely hate the sensation of being lost.

I don't know that we will ever be able to let Simon off-leash, which makes me kinda sad. There is this great park (not fenced in, but HUGE) where everyone takes their dogs to run around. I would love to let Simon just run, but between his fear of other dogs and people, and the fact that his breed doesn't listen well, I doubt we can do it.

lagata said...

So glad that you found Goldie and neither you nor her were crushed...

lagata said...

So glad that you found Goldie and neither you nor her were crushed...

Back to top