17 June 2008

Puberty in reverse - a public service announcement

Sometimes I wish I was one of those people who could get all goofy fired-up enthusiastic spinning with joy but it just doesn't happen.

Conversely, I don't go down in the dumps very much. I'm usually pretty even-tempered, so when I get in a foul mood, it is usually PMS or work-related.

So the other day I was shocked to find myself in an unreasonably bad mood that wouldn't go away. I felt like a 13-year-old again, self-obsessed, doubting, cranky, mean.

I had stuff to do but I ended up sitting on my butt in my Ikea Poang chair, mindlessly clicking around the internet for hours while I thought about what a loser I was.

I knew it wasn't PMS since the timing wasn't right. And as far as work, things have recently become much more fun and exciting than ever before, so it wasn't that, either.

It came to me: hormones. As a Woman of a Certain Age, I am not menopausal, but peri-menopause or pre-menopause (what is the diff? Anyone? Anyone?) is sneaking up on me. For the past few months, I have been using progesterone cream that I get at my health food store.

For three weeks a month, twice a day I just smear some of this citrusy-smelling lotion on and it doesn't seem to do anything. Until I forget to use it, which was the case on Saturday. Then I turn into Carrie from the Stephen King novel.

I had run out of the cream and and just forgot to make a trip to the health food place to pick some up.

Within 90 minutes of using it, I was back to normal. It was such a relief to not feel like breaking things anymore.

So that's today's helpful hint. You may not need it for 10 or 20 years, but when you get that Teenage Feeling, realize that it's just puberty in reverse - and it sucks just as bad - but now you know what to do about it.

19 comments:

ByJane said...

I dunno, Sue, but it seems to me that this should be on MidLifeBloggers.com. I didn't know that the stuff actually worked.

whall said...

Ah, but must there be a reason?

(deep thought of the day)

(can be applied as a thought-provoking question in any situation)

(I thought it worked well here, despite my inane usage of parenthetical remarks)

Pamela T. said...

I think I'll be here very soon. Thanks for the tip! Looking forward to meeting you at BlogHer 08 -- I'll be speaking, too, (on Saturday).

Lisa said...

Wow. I had no idea a product like that even existed. (Squeals tires in search of product and health food store because hell, it can't hurt to try!)

Susan C said...

Pre-menopausal? Why, you're a mere youngster!

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

Could that be my problem? (Please send link to lotion)

Glennis said...

Not sure about all this stuff.

they say a woman will have a similar experience to the one her mother had. I asked my Mom about how menopause worked out for her, and she said she couldn't remember. which could mean that at 80 she's forgotten it; or it could mean that for her (and hopefully for me !) it wasn't such a much.

I am 54 and still have my period, although they are getting weird in timing and volume, and I actually had a hot flash a month or so ago. You'd think after the hot flash, I would at least not get the period, but no, of course not.

Waiting for the fabled "loss of libido" but so far no sign.

SUEB0B said...

G - My mom went on a multi-year sob and crabfest when she menopaused at about age 49.

SUEB0B said...

Here's a linkie:
http://emerita.com/

Julie said...

I've been feeling that way lately and hey, if there is a cream that might give me a little relief, I'll be running out to get some.

Anonymous said...

Tampopo..that movie rules. It's like..Japanese Monty Python. And Repo Man!? Plate....shrimp. Sorry, saw your comment on WCGB's blog and looked at your profile.

I'll blog roll you under "Some Other Blogs I Like".

Denise said...

note to self:
must get some progesterone cream from health food store...

Green-Eyed Momster said...

Thanks for the advice. We sell a lot of it at the health food store I work at and sometimes the ladies that come in for it look like junkies. Now I know why! I should probably get me some!!
I'm so glad that you are feeling better!! I'll probably need tons of it. Good thing I get a discount!!

thailandchani said...

:) I went through menopause 5 years ago.. and still get that teenage feeling sometimes. Wish there was a way to prevent it from ever happening.

Anonymous said...

Good to know there's a cream out there that will help when my time comes. Meanwhile, I'm done havin' babies and find my monthly visit from Aunt Flo little more than an insult. I can only imagine how insulting this reverse puberty thing is.

Anonymous said...

So THAT's what was wrong with me the other day!

Sister Wolf said...

There isn't enough lotion in the world to cure my fatigue and irritability.

(Peri just means leading up to, and can last for years.)

Try a good ice cream!

Glennis said...

SueB0b one quick question about something that has me puzzled. What exactly do you put the cream on?

sorry if this is a stupid question.

SUEB0B said...

G - they suggest skin that isn't regularly exposed to sun - inner thighs, belly, butt...

Back to top