01 January 2008

Kind of a reverse polar bear

One of my most fun and memorable New Years Days was spent at the Carlen Soulé Memorial Polar Bear Dip in Cayucos, California back in 2001.

Mind you, a Polar Bear Dip in California is not quite as polar as those in the Midwest where you have to chop ice before you plunge. But the water is still a brisk, refreshing temperature, about 54 degrees or so.

Something about running into the cold green sea on the first day of the year with a couple hundred other loonies makes it seem like a real turning point, a time for to wash that old year right out of your hair.

Today I did a slightly different version. I have a shower outside in the back yard that the landlord set up for dog washing after a prior tenant clogged the drain with massive amounts of golden retriever hair.

I was dyeing my hair outside, so I decided to take it to its logical end and rinse outside too.

I thought about putting on my swimsuit but it was still cold and clammy from yesterday's water aerobics class, so I took a nice, fully naykid shower outside.

My yard is set up so that you would have to be an acrobat or at least very, very nosy to see back there - which is good because I would not want any of my neighbors to suffer cardiac arrest on the very first day of the year.

It was a little breezy and I surprised the hell out of Goldie, but it felt like a fun way to begin a new year - doing something I had never done before. And the water was a lot warmer than the Pacific Ocean.

12 comments:

Lynnea said...

I'm gonna wash that year right out of my hair, and send it on its way!

Happy New Year Suebob, sounds like a sufficiently nutty fun start.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good start on the year to me! However, no one needs to see my body in its natural state.

Unknown said...

I'm on my way down, I need the same thing. Happy New Year my dear.

BOSSY said...

Very very cool. And by cool Bossy means Brrrrrrr. Happy New Year babycakes!

Suzanne said...

Sounds like a refreshing start to a new year.

FENICLE said...

FUN! Happy New Year!!

ps-I tagged you.

Anonymous said...

A new tradition, perhaps? Happy New Year!

The Ex said...

Oh, what a good idea. They had a polar bear dip thing here - in a heated pool. Kind of lame, no?

LittlePea said...

Whew!!! Sounds exhilarating!

I dyed my hair too...inside though so it wasn't as exciting as your experience though.

Alex Elliot said...

Happy New Year! You are such a thoughtful person not to want your neighbors to have a cardiac arrest of the first day of the New Year :) Ha! That line of yours is still making me laugh.

CrankMama said...

Oh you're braver than I am. I just got the naykid spa thing down - naykid outdoor showers will have to wait. Happy New Year!

moosh in indy. said...

54...pansy.
Come out to Indy and do it all kinds of Polar Bear in 2009.
KIDDING.
I don't even get in hot tubs below 98.

Back to top