I got this meme over at Jonniker and just looking at it made me queasy. THAT is the kind of year it has been. But following my policy of doing things that scare the hell out of me, here I go.
1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?
This should not be that hard to think of. Bought a brand new car. Traveled overnight for work by myself.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't think I made any. I may have just know myself too well. (What the hell? Did I write that sentence when I was drunk out of my mind, or am I just a rotten typist?)
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My niece had a little boy, Skyller. Some of my favorite bloggers - Stefanie Wilder-Taylor of Baby on Bored got twin girls,Christina of A Mommy Story had Mira, her second girl,Sage arrived to bless Liz of Mom-101, Tammie of Soul Gardeninghad a sweet boy,and so did Kristen of Motherhood Uncensored. And I'm probably forgetting a few.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
I can barely read this question without choking up. Yes, my sister on May 13; my next-door neighbor, Nice Neighbor John, 2 days later.
5. What countries did you visit?
The good ol' USA. I dreamed of Mexico a whole lot, though. Viva Mexico.
6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
A wage that feels comfy, not scary. A belief in the future. Sex and a good relationship to go with it. More time with family and friends.
7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
We have already discussed May 13 in question 4. July 27 & 28 for BlogHer Chicago. March 22 for The Break Up (Part 4: The Final Battle) with the exMrStapler.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I think just surviving this year is pretty good, considering.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Continuing to gain weight. Either that, or doing such a crappy job at work.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Tendinitis in my left shoulder. A big shout out to my physical therapist, Matthew.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The Bluemobile. Or this MacBook. Both very cool.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My nephew James. He is a young guy, but he is handling an extremely difficult life situation with such strength. I am proud of him and his parents for all they do to help out 2 little girls who really need them.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Personally? The exMrStapler. I have always managed to stay on good terms with my many exes but he isn't having it. I think we could still enrich each other's lives (well, crack each other up at least), but no. So that sucks.
And do I even need to mention the criminals that are running the country?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Basic living expenses, sadly. F***ing California.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I do not get really, really, really excited. It is not in my nature.
16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
Have we talked about how I never, ever listen to music anymore? Ask me about what was on NPR.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
Oh, way sadder.
b) thinner or fatter?
Fatter. Another happy one.
c) richer or poorer?
And Strike three! Poorer or holding steadyish.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Go to the Islands.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Out in the country at PKs with her big family. It was super.
21. Did you fall in love in 2007?
Nope, unless you count with Keith Olbermann's special commentaries. I could give them a big long kiss.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
I do not have a TV but I watched a lot of the Office and Entourage on DVD.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Hate is a pretty strong word, and I have had GW Bush for 7 years now.
24. What was the best book you read?
The Disappearance of the Universe by Gary Renard. It would be a bit much for someone who isn't already into A Course in Miracles, I think.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
See #16. I will tell you who makes me want to tear my ears off and stomp on them: Joanna Newsom.
26. What did you want and get?
More time at the gym. To travel for work. Time with my folks.
27. What did you want and not get?
Peace of mind. Skinnier.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Stranger than Fiction (I saw it in 07 I think).
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I went out with my crazy friends and too old to tell.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A nice BF who knew how to...nevermind. Is it hot in here?
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
Things without noticeable stains. Baggy and nondescript.
32. What kept you sane?
This question presumes that I managed to stay sane, and I am not sure I qualified for much of the year. I would say "What kept me alive?" would be more accurate. My friends. Church. My family. Running Goldie on the beach. This blog and my dear commenters.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Craig Ferguson. That accent, oh my.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
35. Who did you miss?
See #4 again. My nephew Lyal. Mikey. The exMrStapler when he is in a good mood. Also all of my faraway blogger people who I would love to spend real face time with.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Oh, gosh, there are quite a few. Super Des, Count Mockula, Alex Elliott, Kevin Charnas and Will...I could go on. Oddly all bloggers.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
Do not put a container of milk in your purse no matter how securely you think it is closed.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Only Monty Python will do...
"For life is quite absurd
And death's the final word
You must always face the curtain with a bow.
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.
So always look on the bright side of death
Just before you draw your terminal breath
Life's a piece of shit
When you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.
You'll see it's all a show
Keep 'em laughing as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you.
And always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the right side of life..."
This meme is courtesy of Linda at Sundry Mourning, who is keeping track of the players. So let her know if you decide to go along for the ride.
As for me, I'm ready to grab this year by the shoulders and kick its raggedy butt out the door. You?