31 December 2007

Secret Shame Revealed

You know how it is when you remember as you walk into your doctor's office that the staff is going to see your bra and THEN you realize that you have your OMG-last-day-before-laundry faded, stained, stretched-out, frayed-elastic "I really should have thrown this out 3 years ago" bra on?

I had a similar experience at the car wash today. I went to a new car wash and didn't realize that my car would be parked so that all 50 people waiting on this incredibly busy car washing day were going to see inside the back of it.

The photo doesn't do it justice, but I assure you that in real life, in the cold light of a noontime winter sun, you can clearly see the half-inch thick dog fur coating the back seat and the dog drool slime coating the back door.

Yes, glamor is my middle name.

***********
Here's something I do because I am too lazy to keep a real journal:


I buy a desk calendar each year when they are 50 percent off.

I get the kind with plenty of art or photo pages interspersed. Then I tape little mementos on the photo pages closest to the dates when things happened - airline tickets, movie ticket stubs, art opening announcements, memorial service cards - I even saved my visitor's badge from when Dad was in the hospital with his stroke.

I can look back for years and have little tangible reminders of what I was doing on certain dates. It's a fun way to preserve memories and less fussy (and expensive) than scrapbooking.

********

Happy New Year everyone. I hope it is happy and healthy for you and yours.

8 comments:

meno said...

Only a half inch? Tell Goldy to get busy!

Happy New Year Suebob!

Suzanne said...

I love the calendar-scrapbook idea. I'm going to start one up as soon as I get home.

Happy New Year and I hope that 2008 brings you all the good things that 2007 should have and more.

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

If you didn't live 3000 miles away we could compare cars. You wouldn't feel so badly if you saw mine. ;)

And i love your idea of the desk calendar. I think I might borrow that. Happy New Year!

Kizz said...

That's a brilliant idea. My mom did something similar with me when I was a kid and we were living in the UK. It's cool to save those little things.

mar said...

thanks for the calendar idea. scrapbooking makes me *shudder* i always have little bits & bobs that i've no idea what to do with. (i also have a colored wooden box w/ two sides where i keep both fortune cookie fortunes & movie stubs)
my car is appalling & all i've got is a bf to mess it up, not a shedding dog.

Kris said...

That really is brilliant. I am so unbelievably lazy when it comes to actual scrapbooking, but I'm a freak when it comes to saving all the memento stuff.

Similar experience-I had a police officer check my daughter's carseat installation only remembering seconds before the officer stuck her head in the seat that there was about three months worth of crackers, bread, apple and cheese bits stuck in the bottom. Because I'm a lazy mother who bribes her kid with food to stop screaming in the carseat. My sympathies. I certainly can relate.

super des said...

I too love the faux scrapbooking.

the mystic said...

My favorite is getting to the doctor and remembering that I didn't shave my legs -- what's most embarrassing is as I'm going, "I promise I usually ALWAYS shave my legs, sorry I'm so gross today..." the doctor just looks at me like I have two heads and she hadn't even noticed.

Back to top