04 July 2006

Happy Fourth

It looks to be a glorious day here on the California coast. The sky is blue, the air is warm and the birdies are singing. I am heading over to Channel Islands Harbor for a fun run/walk with some ladies from church. In my case it will be sort of a fun waddle. Too many trips to the snack machine at work. I was ok until the snack guy stocked it with Nutter Butter Bites and then it was all over for me. Cannot resist the peanutty goodness.

I tend to be cynical about patriotism (and everything else, too). But you could carve the First Amendment on my headstone and I would be happy to rest under these beautiful words:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
I consider it my patriotic duty to tell you to get out there and appreciate the freedoms that were won for us, to complain about those we have lost, and to fight like hell to keep the ones we have.

Thank you.

Today on Linkateria - more fabulous writing and advice from all over the blogosphere, plus a fun trivia game.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in what's wrong with our government, our country, our friends, our family, our schools, that we forget to remember that we are endowed with some amazing rights, simply because we are Americans.

Lisa said...

Look over at your Linkateria site. You've always got some good suggestions.

super des said...

I like fireworks. I don't care what they stand for.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...nutter butters...the taste of childhood.

Anonymous said...

Love your blog and your writing...Keep up the great work.

SUEB0B said...

Lisa, Ed - thanks for the compliments. I appreciate them.

Back to top