11 March 2006

Random thoughts on GSUS

There seems to be this recurring theme of Christian-hating going on. It is a cultural phenom that is sort of bubbling up from underground and the clamor is getting louder and louder.

I can understand it. Dang the whining, complaining, martyrdom and judgementalness (is that a word?) of right-wing Christians does grow so wearysome.

If it isn't Pat Robertson calling spouting some anti-one-person one-vote nonsense, it's one of Bush's criminal minions trying to make sure no one gets AIDS education.

Maybe Jesus wouldn't have been a liberal Democrat. But I think he sure as shit wouldn't have been a right-wing Republican. Some days I want to say "Can't we all get along?" and other days it's more like "Just shut the fuck up! It's my country too, you morons!"

Even my 80-year-old mom, the nicest woman in the world, said yesterday "I don't think some Christians are very nice people." For my mom, those are pretty harsh words.

Mr. Stapler is in on the action, too. He had a hilarious idea, born of the hours we spend stuck in freeway traffic reading people's personalized license plates.

What does he want on his plate?

IH8GSUS

I told him the only vehicle he could put it on would be a well-armored tank, and even then he had better watch his back.

Personally, I usually like Jesus. He was a radical, my kind of guy.

But then that pansy-ass Paul came along and mucked the whole thing up. I think most so-called Christian churches are Paulist churches that just use Jesus as a prop.

But Jesus said stuff that kinda makes me wonder if there weren't some cracks in his plank. For instance: "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother...he cannot be my disciple." (Luke 14:26). That's not one you see people holding up at football games.

I really think the whole issue is not so much one of philosophy as psychology. Us mush-brained liberals see God as the Dad who brings us presents when he comes home from a business trip and the righties see God as a cranky Dad with a belt in his hand, just waiting for us to mess up.

My best spiritual teacher, Mary Olive Hill said "God made us in his image. And we have been returning the favor ever since."

2 comments:

IzzyMom said...

"Us mush-brained liberals see God as the Dad who brings us presents when he comes home from a business trip and the righties see God as a cranky Dad with a belt in his hand, just waiting for us to mess up"

What a great way to sum it up. I've often thought kind of the same thing. I favor the "God totally loves us and doesn't want us to fuck up but will still love us even if we do" stance.

Anonymous said...

I like Anne Lamott's comment, "Jesus was soft on crime. He'd never have been elected anything." And I'm probably paraphrasing her here, but she also wrote something like, "You can tell you've created God in your image, instead of the other way around, when he hates all the same people you do."

Back to top